Grade Appeals

If you believe that you deserve a better grade in a class, on an assignment, or on an exam, the first thing that you should do is schedule a meeting with your instructor.

If you are unsatisfied with the outcome of this meeting, you can apply for a formal re-assessment of your grade. This may only occur after you have had an informal consultation with the instructor.

To apply for a re-assessment, you must submit a completed Request for and Report of Re-Assessment Form with the required $20 fee to the department (or the Dean’s Office in a non-departmentalized College) that is offering the course. This must occur within thirty days after you were informed of the original grade.

For more information, visit the University’s Student Page

The grade appeal process is further outlined in Procedures for Student Appeals in Academic Matters.

Retroactive Withdrawal

If you received a failing grade in a class due to serious personal circumstances or because of a verifiable error in registration, you may apply for a retroactive withdrawal from a course.

You must apply for this change by submitting an appeal letter to the College in which you are registered.

If you are an Arts & Science Student, there is more information about retroactive withdrawals on the College’s website including how to write an effective appeal letter.

This is further outlined in the University’s Academic Courses Policy on Class Delivery, Examinations, and Assessment of Student Learning.

Prerequisite & Corequisite Waiver

Prerequisite and corequisite courses are only waived in rare circumstances. Also, they are only waived if an equivalent alternative learning experience can be identified.

Each College has their own regulations relating to prerequisite and corequisite course waivers. Visit this website for more information on your College’s procedure.

Class Override

If you need a class override, fill out the Class Override and/or Late Enrolment in a Class form. The form provides all of the necessary instructions, however, it is important to note that you will need the signature of the instructor of the class and of the Department Head.

After you submit it to the Departmental Office for approval. They will make the necessary adjustments to your record in the system.
Visit this website for more information about class overrides including reasons to apply for a class override.

Deferred and Supplemental Examinations

You may apply for a deferred exam when you are absent from a final examination of no fault of your own for medical, compassionate or other valid reasons. In this case, you should contact the College that you are registered in for a deferred exam. Visit the College’s general office, or contact them by phone.

You must apply for a deferred exam within three business days of the missed examination and be accompanied by supporting documentary evidence.

You may apply for a supplemental examination if you fail an examination. Each college has their own regulations to determine whether a student is eligible. Contact the College’s general office in person or by phone to apply to see if you are eligible.

Furthermore, it should be noted that there are non-refundable fees that will be charged when deferred and supplemental examinations are granted.

For more information visit this website.

Financial Appeals

If you had to withdraw from a class due to extenuating circumstances, you can request to have your tuition reviewed and reduced.

Visit Student Central to discuss whether an appeal is appropriate for your situation and find out what options are available to you.

To make a financial appeal, you must access the Academic and Financial Appeals channel in PAWS and follow the instructions.

Or, you can complete a Financial Appeal Form student and submit it to Student Central. Additionally, you must include a letter explaining the reasons for the appeal and the supporting documentation.

Financial Appeals must be filed 12 months from the last day of the term fo which the appeal is being filed.

For more information, including what constitutes a legitimate ground for a financial appeal, visit this website.