The Room Scheduling Office is responsible for the approval of functions involving the selling or display of food on campus in all spaces, regardless if the space is inside or outside. (For student clubs, ratification by the USSU must be effective in order to request the use of space.)

The Draft Space Allocation and Management Policy specifies that events where food is offered for sale or where food is displayed, (examples: Pizza sales or BBQ’s) may be considered itinerant eating establishments and are subject to the regulations of the University and the Saskatoon Health Region. This applies to all functions and spaces except those held at the Faculty Club, Food Services (Marquis Hall & cafeterias) or in USSU facilities.

For all spaces except those listed above, all events involving the sale or display of food, an authorized, signed “Application for Temporary Food Service License” from the Saskatoon Health Region is required.

The Room Scheduling Office must receive a copy of the signed License before any space request can be accepted for the purpose of serving or display of food, in compliance with the rules and regulations of the Saskatoon Health Region. The Room Scheduling Office requires two working days notice for processing requests.

Applications for Temporary Food Service License forms are available through the Saskatoon District Health Office, #101-310 Idylwyld Drive North, telephone: (306)655-4605Their hours of operation are 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 12:30 – 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. You should allow two working days for the processing of these forms by the Health Region. Visit under Programs & Services for additional information.

In addition to the regulations as outlined by the Saskatoon Health Region, and because of additional services required of Facilities Management in order to adequately accommodate events involving food in outdoor spaces, these types of events are limited to specific predefined areas. Outside areas approved for events involving food are:

  • Immediately south west of Engineering
  • South of main doors into Agriculture
  • Palliser Gardens
  • College of Law South Entrance
  • College of Commerce North Entrance
  • College of Education Entrance South Ramp and Daycare Entrance
  • Immediately North of Diefenbaker Centre (between building and grave site)
  • College of Veterinary Medicine Ramp
  • The Bowl (reserved for events (involving food) where food service professional providers are involved)
  • Kinesiology Controlled Facilities (reserved for events where food service professional providers are involved)


  • All BBQ’s most have a drain pan underneath
  • BBQ’s must ne 10 metres from the building
  • A fire extinguisher must be on site
  • The university has an exclusive contract with Pepsi, only Pepsi products can be distributed on campus
  • Exit doors cannot be blocked

Failure to comply with these regulations may result in suspension of booking privileges for these types of events. Any clean up required due to negligence (i.e. grease spilled on cement) will be billed to the user.

Inside areas currently approved for events involving food are:

  • Arts 156.1 (foyer between Arts 143 & 146)
  • Education 1001 – foyer
  • Engineering 1st floor foyer
  • Health Sciences B1 – Corridor on B Level
  • Law Foyer
  • Thorvaldson Hallway (between Computer Science Dept and Chemistry Dept)
  • Biology 2nd floor north of doors into Biology from Geology Atrium