When to get Insurance
Obtaining insurance is an extremely complicated but necessary process for running events. Insurance is necessary in the following three cases:
- Events where alcohol is being served
- Events that have not been pre-approved by the USSU during ratification for general liability insurance
- Any other event that carries significant risk, such as sporting competitions
All insurance forms must be properly filled out and submitted to the USSU no less than two (2) weeks prior to the event.
- Pick up insurance form from USSU Reception and set up a time to get signatures from VP OpFin as well as Student Crew Supervisor. The Receptionist will advise group they must be ratified before the Memorandum of Insurance can be given.
- Go to the Dean of the College in which the event will be held for On-Campus Events or to the Site Manager for Off-Campus Events. A signature is required from her or him, ensuring the event reflects positively on the College or facility.
- Return to USSU Office in order to receive a signature from Student Crew Supervisor and VP OpFin. They will check to ensure the form is filled out properly and necessary Server Intervention training scheduled well ahead of the event.
- For On Campus Events, take the form to SESD Building no later than 1 week prior to the event to ensure room scheduling if necessary and get a signature from Danette Stang.
- Return form to the USSU Office, where the Receptionist checks the form to ensure it is properly filled out with all the appropriate signatures and the group is ratified. Upon checking to see that all is in order and after receiving payment, the Receptionist will then provide the group with a Memorandum of Insurance.
- Coordinate security for the event with the Student Crew Supervisor. This is necessary, as per the U of S Alcohol Policy.
Obtaining Insurance – Detailed Version
USSU front desk in Main Floor Place Riel
- Front-line staff will inquire about the group and verify their ratification and provide the application for Memorandum of Insurance form
- Fill out all pertinent information concerning their event
- Set up time with Student Crew for training and signature
Dean’s Office or Building’s facility manager/ emailing
- Signature of approval from appropriate Dean or Building Manager
Student Crew Office
- Have appropriate number of students receive training from Student Crew
- Assure you have estimated number of attendees and room location
- Student Crew Coordinator signoff
- The individual who is filling out the Application for Memorandum of Insurance must be the same individual who is booking the room with Room Scheduling
- Tentatively book your room with Room Scheduling
- Wait for approval of a tentative room hold from Room Scheduling
2nd Floor Administration Building, VP SESD’s Office
- Have the Executive Assistant to the VP SESD check that all the information is correctly filled out on the Insurance form
- The Executive Assistant will check with Room Scheduling to make sure the room is tentatively booked and signoff
USSU front desk in main floor Place Riel
- USSU VP Operations and Finance to sign the Insurance form
- Remit the final application and receive the Memorandum of Insurance
Provincial Liquor Board Store
- Acquire your Special Occasions Permit
On-Campus Event $100.00
Off-Campus Event (less than 500 people) $300.00
Off-Campus Event (between 501 – 1000 people) $400.00
Off-Campus Event (more than 1000 people) $500.00
- All insurance forms must be properly filled out and handed into the USSU no less than two (2) weeks prior to the event.
- The USSU will not temporarily hold partially filled insurance forms under any circumstances.
- The USSU reserves the right to withhold approval of events in conjunction with the insurer based on the nature and/or history of the event. If the event is not approved, the USSU will not extend its liability coverage for that specific event.
- The USSU refuses to provide insurance coverage for pub-crawls and beer nights.